Sunday, January 8, 2012

An Entrepreneur's Wife

I've been thinking about this post for a long time. I googled it once, and nothing came up. Not very surprising. An entrepreneur's wife can't say much most the time. It's hush hush unless it's up on someone's website or in the news. My best, most glamorous guess is that it's kind of a secret club. That apparently no one blogs about.

Being an entrepreneur's wife, at least in the early stages, means many things. Kind of like being the wife of a graduate student. The sideways glances, the grimacing laugh. The, "How are you?" question followed by a, "Fine," in an odd voice that is only best described as a mix between crazy and clueless. Underneath that, "fine," you feel exactly that. You are fine, but you do in fact feel crazy and pretty clueless about what the outcome of this adventure will be.

Being an entrepreneur's wife means sacrifice. Just because the business is in the green, does not mean you are. Whatever you take home, takes from someone else's paycheck, or the viability of the company existing one more month. Insurance is not a given. Dental probably even rarer. Pensions? 401ks? You're on your own. There is something called equity in the company that is dolled out, but I have yet to see what that really means.


Being an entrepreneur's wife means you're an entrepreneur too. It's not just your husband working. It's you too. Whether that means you are the "stable" income, or whether you are bootstrapping the business by working. One of my friends from high school recently came to visit. She worked for two years while her husband started his own business. It worked out quite well, and now she is able to stay home with her newborn son. She could definitely relate to the short-term sacrifice that invests in your future success. Although I do not work, I live through his work. I know what is going on. We ride the ups and downs together. There is also an entrepreneurial way of thinking that is contagious. Always trying to think of a new business idea or a way to make things better. I am not a creative thinker, but I do think up some ideas on occasion. My husband, on the other hand, probably thinks of 10 business ideas a day. Not all of them are viable. But it is really fun, and it brings us together.

Being an entrepreneur's wife means you will not be able to explain what your husband does. Or rather, you will explain, but people will not understand. In the mid-size city we live in about 80 percent of the people have very traditional jobs. Engineers, doctors, accountants, military. Professional careers that can be easily described in one word. They are a doctor. They are a teacher. They are in advertising. Performing that task equals a paycheck. Just mention the company name and people will know how 75 percent of your life operates. When you say, "entrepreneur," or "starting my own business," you are in the minority 20 percent that is either associated with poverty and eccentricity, or the super successful elite. Not much middle ground. It takes too long to describe my husband's venture, so I try to just not explain. Just say IT startup, or something like that. They always want more information. So I oblige them. But to be honest, I feel like I need an elevator speech and some key messages written for me (note: this was my former job, create messages like this)

Being an entrepreneur's wife means you will pray ... a lot. Belief in God is how we survive. Even if Tyler wasn't starting his own business, God would be how we stay strong. When we were interviewing for jobs, I kept getting this panicked, nervous, competitive, jealous feeling. In our church we believe strongly that our feelings are promptings of the Holy Ghost. So you pay attention to them. Looking back this panicky feeling was most definitely a sign that the corporate path was not for us at this time. When his business got funding from a venture capital firm, it was relatively calm, and just normal! Every time I get a feeling of doubt (daily, or hourly) I pray asking if this is the right decision. I always get a calm, good feeling. I am not saying that bad things won't happen in the future, but I know right now that we are making the right decision and we gave it our all.

Being an entrepreneur's wife means so many things. Sometimes it gets a little lonely, so if you are in this secret club, let's not be so secret, okay?

6 comments:

Liz H. said...

excellent post, sarah! hang in there :)

Yolanda said...

I'm not in the club, but I love you and know you'll get through the hairy parts of your new life just fine. Hugs!

Yolanda said...

I'm not in the club, but I love you and know you'll get through the hairy parts of your new life just fine. Hugs!

simplicity said...

Being the wife of an entrepreneur's wife, you put this into words better than anyone I have ever seen, and you hit the nail right on the head.

I think being able to be a successful entrepreneur is having a wife that stands behind him and encourages - even when your inner voice is asking "What about next months electric bill" and smiling while encouraging. Praying you will make it somehow.

It means tolerating the pause when someone else is talking about your husband's job and they pause when they have to describe it - since most times they can't. Your right, they aren't a doctor, lawyer or something run of the mill.

I think in some cases, being the wife of someone self employed brings the couple closer than most, and trust me, this struggle will bring a smile to your face in 20 years when you reflect on it.
You are giving it your all and your doing it together - this is a skill most couples never develop. You should be proud of both of you.

simplicity said...

Great post! You put into words what so many wives are thinking who has a husband who is self employed.

I think being a successful entrepreneur means having a supportive spouse that will encourage with a smile, when the inner voice is asking "What about next months electric bill" - and already planning what can be cut down on to make it on a small paycheck (if you get one at all).

It means smiling when someone else is talking about your family and when it comes to Tyler's job they pause because they really don't know how to describe what he does.

Your right, it does mean sacrifice, but, you get so many rewards that other marriages don't have. You learn to work together with your spouse, you learn to communicate with each other. You really learn what give and take means, these are things some marriages never have and these are really important in longevity in a marriage.

When you do finally see the financial rewards you will look back on these times and smile and be proud because you really did struggle to get there - all you have to do is believe in each other.

Julie said...

My husband is an Entrepreneur too. It really does feel like a secret club, doesn't it? I've wanted to start a blog about it many times over the past two years but, somehow, I can never find a way to make it work.

I hope you'll write more about your experiences, I'd love to read about them.