Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy birthday to meeee!

Today I am 30. Yikes. If I put my childhood glasses on, that is "like totally ancient." but sitting here today, I'm getting used to it, and kind of looking forward to all that a new decade brings. Some people have said that the 20s are hard because you are so broke, and by the 30s you finally get to enjoy some benefits of working so hard. Another friend said that 30 was the best year of her life. She got married, bought their dream house and had a baby!

In the midst of my happy thoughts I have to admit I am thinking about death a little more. Thinking about death when you are younger usually involves stupidity or a tragic accident. Death past 30 usually involves life choices or genetics. So my life is either half over or one-third over. I'm okay with that, even though it does make me a little sad. Okay a lot sad. In the midst of my sad thoughts yesterday I had a knock at the door. It was a friend, April, who told me she was taking me out to lunch! I got there and there were 10 dear friends from church there for my birthday! Who cares if I didn't have any makeup on? It was so awesome. I was feeling so terrible and they were all there for me! It was so wonderful. I cried. (ive been crying a lot lately... Must be another sign of getting old.)

I love to be all cheery on my blog, because life is so good. But I want my children and family to draw strength from hard times too. So here's to being a little more real, a little more loving, and a little more giving. Can't wait to see what another 10 years bring!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy birthday! And I loved ur post about budgets. Great advice!

hbhoang said...

You have such an amazing old soul--that's why we've been friends for this long. This will definitely be the year you get spoiled rotten.