Thursday, April 17, 2008

Day Six - Joan of Arc and Rouen

Rouen is a big city. I explored it for several hours and found a few interesting things. The park that I subsequently parked next to had a waterfall and small pond with a swan. It was really beautiful.

The coolest thing that I didn't get to see was the inside of this cathedral next to the Hotel de Ville. The hotel de Ville housed injured soldiers in WWII primarily from the Ohio region. Anyway, the two buildings are attached. Inside this cathedral during the plague bodies were stored here. They actually entombed a live cat to ward off evil spirits. Inside the cathedral it is mostly empty, but I heard the stained glass is beautiful and makes great colors on the floor. It was closed and I didn't feel like hanging around for several hours doing nothing, but this is definitely on my to do list next time!

The old narrow streets that the impressionists loved to paint.
This is the tower where Jean d'Arc - or - Joan of Arc - was held and tortured. She wouldn't deny that she had visions though.
Inside the tower. I climbed to the top.
Where she was burned at the stake.
Right next to the cross there is a modern looking church at the site. It's meant to look like a sinking ship.
Right next to the market there's this giant clock. Sort of interesting.

0 comments: