Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Another new calling

While most of my posts are on general things, the primary purpose of this blog is to create a sort of family history. An important part of a family history is to journal how a person grows not just physically, but spiritually, socially, intellectually, etc.

I just got another new calling after serving as second counselor in YW for four short months. I am now the secretary of a new YW presidency. I am SO glad to be in YW still. I love the energy of the girls and I think it will really make me a better mother and give me a good perspective. I have found a key to being good in YW is connecting with each girl individually. Not just on Sundays or Wednesdays (or Thursdays), but to do something with them outside of church. They really are different people. They also force you to relax, and not be so stuffy and boring. Remember when your life was filled with drivers licenses, locker mates, weekend dramas and hot boys? Although this is a very serious time of life in a gospel sense - it's also very fun and exciting.

I've also learned that you need strong leadership with the youth, otherwise they will lead themselves. They just want someone to look up to and have friendship with.

I love all my YW. I don't think they know how much. I wish I could bear their burdens for them. I wish I could be the only member at their school and take that load off their shoulders. I wish that I could make them feel whole and not so alone. I wish I could give them the confidence they need to stand up for what they believe. They really are amazing, and I know how blessed I am to see them journey ahead. Whether they have a testimony or not, all I openly ask from them is to be honest with me and themselves. When you're open to receiving answers, this is the best time to ask questions .. but remember to ask the right people. One of my favorite scriptures right now is
3 Nephi 14:20 Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them

Look at the "fruits" of the people around you. Eventually the fruit of a person will be evident, and you can know what kind of a person someone is.

1 comments:

Jacqueline Mohamed said...

What an amazing perspective! You have really blossomed in the few years that I've known you. I'm so glad to have been able to see your fruits as you strive to serve others so charitably!