Friday, May 18, 2012

Health Update

Just as a side note to all these posts. I had another Dr. appointment this week. I had 4 vials of blood drawn, drank the yucky orange sugar stuff, met with a dietician, Tyler got tested, then I had another 2 vials of blood drawn. I was at the dr.'s office for 3 hours. That is a loong time.

I have been on the Paleo diet for officially 3 weeks. I feel super healthy despite all these crazy dr. appointments. AND my cycle was shorter than it has been in any of my recent memories without taking any medication. When I'm on the breast cancer drug that induces ovulation my cycles were 31 days or so. This non-medicated cycle was still long - 37 days - but I'll take it! It has gone upward of 60 days before and is NEVER predictable. The diet has stretched, and is stretching me to a new "normal," not eating grain, carbs, sugar or dairy. (which the dietician couldn't believe that I was actually not eating, and thought I was pretty crazy) but it seems to be working! The internet cure was right! (haha) The cravings for sugar and carbs were bad - and kind of still are. Super bad, especially around the 14 day mark. My goal is 4 months, and I think I can make it. I really want a milkshake. Have to figure out a decent replacement. No milkshake or smoothie is technically paleo.

I think my biggest issue is not wanting to be judged for my weird diet. We all know "those people" that can't eat stuff for one reason or another and go on and on about their health. But this is very real to me. Why the heck did it take me 16 years to find a doctor to tell me that a low carb diet may solve all my problems? WEIRD and FRUSTRATING.

My only advice is that if there is something amiss, find a doctor that may specialize in what you are experiencing. It is so comforting to look around the waiting room at my doctor's office and see faces of women who are experiencing the exact same thing I am. And it is so nice to find someone that won't look at you like an alien when you tell them your ailments, or just try to mask the symptoms with a pill.

No results to report until the 29th.

0 comments: