Monday, November 17, 2008

SAHM

Some of you will quickly know what this acronym means. For others it may be a little foreign. In a nutshell, it's short for stay at home mom. For almost three years I have been a SAHM. Some people greet this new calling with excitement, for others it may bring apprehension, for others it may be the hardest thing ever begun. After three years I think I'm finally to the point where I can say I'm used to being a SAHM and really, really thankful for it. Can you believe it took this long? Today when I made play doh for the girls, made them lunch, made them breakfast, went to the grocery store, put on their little boots and coats, and even put Ava in time out, I am so thankful I am the one that is able to do this. I am able to spend this special time with them and no one else. I am thankful I can teach them what it means to fulfill their ultimate calling by my example. (Yikes!)

Frankly, before I had Ava it was all I could do to go to work and sit at my desk. I was really, really bored. Although I liked what I did, I didn't really like the corporate environment. I think I'm more an independent person and want to do what I want to do. After I came home with Ava I remember thinking, is this it? All my baby does is lay there! Eight months later I was pregnant again and exhausted and in pain every day. Pelvic bone pain is the worst! But as soon as little Violet was born I had to adjust again to the rhythms of bring a mom of two girls. Now that they're growing up - I tear up at least once a week because they're getting so old - I am cherishing each day a little more. I am thankful I get to multitask and be a crazy, laundry-hating, cook, therapist, behavior coach, nutritionist, nurse, driver, stylist and wife. I love being able to be the one completely responsible in all these areas so they are safe and healthy. I love reading and researching the different stages of life and being able to pray and read the scriptures, sing, dance, cook, walk, play, laugh and cry with them.

All in all, any job or career takes practice, and it's taken three years, but every moment has been worth it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your daughters are so lucky to have you as their mother :) I can imagine the transition from working full time to becoming a mother takes a bit of adjusting :) This post is very inspiring Sarah. I know a lot of woman feel this way and I think its wonderful you shared your experiences. Your girls are just so sweet and fun-loving. We love them! ;)